Saturday, March 19, 2005

REMEMBRANCE FOR ESTHER

It remains a residual custom among Catholics to say prayers and masses for a loved one on the anniversary of their death. She loved me many a year. She died on this day in 1988. She was a Baptist and I've no reason to think she believed in purgatory or had even heard of it, which has no bearing on the objective reality of purgatory (tho' it may have a bearing on the possibility that she is resident there). If it be your vocation to pray, I would be obliged for your efforts on her behalf.
PRAYERS FOR THE DEAD
Out of the depths I cried unto Thee, O Lord: Lord hear my voice.
Let Thine ears be attentive to the voice of thy supplications.
If thou Lord shouldst mark iniquities: Lord, who shall stand it.
But Thou dost not remember, for with Thee is merciful forgiveness, that thou mayest be feared.
I wait for the lord, my soul doth wait, and in His word I do hope.
My soul looketh for the Lord more than the watchman look for the morning; yea, more than the watchman look for the morning.
O Israel, hope in the Lord, for with the Lord there is mercy and with him plentiful redemption.
And He shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.
Eternal rest grant them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine on them. May they rest in peace. Amen
-- From the Catholic Prayer Book for the Marine Corps
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home